Music has always been an integral part of my life. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t love listening to whatever was playing. Dad would shut off the TV on Sunday mornings and it was all classical all morning. Mom loved Elvis and Patsy Cline. We would put on the Monkees and cleaned the house. Grandma always had Handel’s Messiah playing at Easter and Christmas.
It didn’t surprise anyone when I picked up a viola and stared lessons. I loved– love playing. I had actually gotten all the way to being accepted to Julliard Saturday School before the kaibosh was put on any hope of me being a musician.
Music never lost it’s importance to me. I played the flute, the guitar, the piano. I’m not saying I’m passable in anything but the viola, but I played. And I sang. I loved singing. I still do. It’s a bad day when I don’t have music and am not singing something. I’ll get in the car and belt out (badly) Wicked or Les Miserable. And yes, I know all the words.
So, it wasn’t a stretch when I started associating music with what I was writing. I can’t listen to “Unchained Melody” by the Righteous Brothers without thinking about how one of my characters has to die. And that’s a character. All of my stories have, at the very least, a theme song. Several future Club Imperial books already have them! “Around Midnight” is from the eponymous “Around Midnight” by the Airborne Toxic Event, and “Captured” has “Kathy’s Song” by Simon and Garfunkel attached to it.
To that end, there are a dozen or more songs mentioned or quoted in “Consensual”. They are pieces and songs I love and listen to all the time.
And as such, I offer you Emmy’s Play List. I hope you enjoy music as much as Emmy and I do. It’s part of our very soul.
1. Ach, Ist Fuhl’s, The Magic Flute – By Mozart
2. Gretchen Am Spinnrade, Faust – By Schubert
3. Yellow Submarine- The Beatles
4. Runaway – The Traveling Wilburys
5. Cello Concerto #1 in G Major- Prelude – by Bach, performed by Yo-Yo Ma
6. Requiem: Requiem Aeternam (Introitus) – by Mozart
7. Tatihou, performed by the Argentine Tango Orchestra
8. Raise Your Glass – by Pink
9. Love in an Elevator – by Aerosmith
10. Mars, Bringer of War – Holst
11. O Fortuna from Carmina Burana
12. No Light, No Light – by Florence and the Machine
13. Too Close – by Alex Clare
14. I Miss You – by Blink 182
Here’s a Spotify playlist for you – Enjoy!
Get your Kindle copy here! Paperback coming soon!